Johnson Matthey’s catalyst division and the European Catalyst Manufacturers Association (ECMA)
REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and restriction of CHemicals), the European Union regulation for both new and existing chemical substances, came into force on 1st June 2007. All chemicals produced or imported into the EU in quantities above 1 tonne per year per manufacturer/importer need to be registered with the European Chemicals Agency. Considerable technical information is required for each registration, depending on the tonnage band into which the substance falls.
We are lead consultant on REACH for Johnson Matthey’s catalyst division and the European Catalyst Manufacturers Association (ECMA). We have worked to develop and quantify exposure scenarios in order to demonstrate absence of risk for the manufacture and use of catalysts containing many different metals and metal compounds.
Primary tasks for these projects were:
- Compilation of emissions data and information on risk management measures from European catalyst sector.
- Development of manufacturing and downstream user exposure scenarios. Analysis of datasets to quantify catalyst sector-specific exposure scenarios for inclusion in the Chemical Safety Reports (CSRs) prepared by the major metals consortia such as nickel, copper and zinc.
- Risk assessment and calculation of RCRs.
- Critical review and amendment of CSRs.
- Development of SpERCs (industry specific environmental release categories) for the catalyst sector.
- Registration dossier compilation.
REACH registration dossiers for the substances and intermediates.
Start and completion dates
2009 – ongoing
wca project co-ordinator