REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and restriction of CHemicals), the European Union regulation for both new and existing chemical substances, came into force on 1st June 2007. All chemicals produced or imported into the EU in quantities above 1 tonne per year per manufacturer/importer need to be registered with the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA). Considerable technical information is required for each registration, depending on the tonnage band into which the substance falls.
wca have worked on the REACH registrations of various substances, with projects covering organic and inorganic substances, including multi-constituent substances and complex UVCBs. Our projects include:
Precious metals and rhenium consortium (PMC): The consortium covers a range of precious metal substances, including both inorganic and organo-metallic substances and inorganic UVCBs. wca contribute to the phys-chem, environmental and mammalian toxicology sections of the dossiers, as well as covering environmental exposure.
European REACH Grease Thickeners Consortium (ERGTC): This project covers the REACH registration of grease thickeners, with substances split into different categories and read across between category members. wca are responsible for the hazard sections of the dossiers, as well as preparing read across justifications. wca also carry out consortia management tasks and SIEF communication for this consortium.
Lower Olefins and Aromatics (LOA) Consortium, via Penman Consulting: wca work on the phys-chem and environmental sections of the dossiers for single substances and hydrocarbon streams.
Confidential Client: wca conduct the hazard and exposure assessments for a number of fragrance ingredients, covering phys-chem, environmental and mammalian toxicology sections of the dossiers and conducting occupational and environmental exposure assessments using CHESAR.
wca have worked on 2010 and 2013 registrations and are currently preparing 2018 REACH registrations, as well as preparing dossier updates as required. The following REACH registration tasks are conducted, as necessary, for our REACH clients:
- Reviewing analytical results and confirming substance sameness
- Conducting published literature searches
- Reviewing available data for reliability and relevance
- Proposing read across and category approaches and preparing read across justifications
- Conducting data gap assessments and designing testing strategies
- Preparing robust study summaries and endpoint summaries in IUCLID
- Deriving PNECs and DNELs
- Conducting PBT and vPvB assessments
- Conducting environmental, occupational and consumer exposure assessments
- Proposing classification and labelling
- Carrying out consortia management tasks
- Conducting SIEF communication tasks